Biting Is Wack

Sigh...  I really don't have time to write this post, but it seems that I must briefly address a little bit of art theft. 


So the website Technique Junkies is selling hand stamps with this image they are calling "Vine Beauty", a blatant rip off of this portrait I drew years ago of Camisha Jackson.

In the the age we live in, people think it's okay (even legal) to steal art and combine elements and sell products with the end result. 

For the record, shit like this is not cool. I work hard on my craft. I'm not rich or anything, but I do this for a living, and jacking stuff I draw for your own purposes is a crime (copyright infringement, for those taking notes).  Search engines and photoshop may make it easy to swipe my drawing to compensate for the fact that you can't draw hair like I can, but that doesn't make it okay.  Just because you know how to use a computer does not entitle you to steal and make money off my hard work.

I don't waste time looking for people doing this (biting is rampant in the photoshop era), but from time to time, a friend, fan, and/or colleague will point an instance out to me. I go hard enough at this that there are literally thousands of people out there that know my work, and they let me know when they see people out there waving my style as their own.

The person who pointed this out to me told me she has caught this site owner violating other artists' in this way more than once.  It's especially infuriating to see someone stealing your stuff who has the nerve to put copyright warnings on their site:

I have notified the site of my intent to protect my rights, so if it isn't removed I will go ahead and take legal action.  If I have to, I will involve the other artists whose rights they violated.  If you want to reach out to Technique Junkies to let them know how you feel about this kind of art theft, here's their contact info that I got off their site:


If you have any questions, I am happy to answer them. While you're here, CLICK HERE to sign up for my free, customizable newsletter
Peace,
Samax.

5 comments:

Roger A Wilbanks said...

This pisses me off.

Samax said...

You and me both, brother

Unknown said...

You will prevail over those thieves because truth is on your side; stay strong.

Samax said...

Thanks, Amy!

JFowler said...

Wow! I purchased that stamp from the company and had no idea!

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner