Samax Amen from Fashion Art Network on Vimeo.
BECAUSE I AM A BIG DORK, I have made footnotes for you.
- :18 - For all those who only know me from the internets, my first name is pronounced "Suh MAX". But you can still mispronounce it if you want...
- :22 - No, I don't work for the Centers for Disease Control or the Post Office. I moonlight as a courier. That's the company logo on my shirt.
- :45 - I remember a kid in 2nd Grade suggesting I should be a "comic stripper" when I grew up...
- That good painting class was Beginning Watercolor. My instructor was Millie Giles. I learned a lot in that class, and I educated her about the range of what was going on in comics, since she probably had not opened a comic since she was a child (if then).
- 2:08 - That's a portrait I did a while back of my dude Drew.
- 2:15 - The "Visions in my head" comment...
- 2:35 - Ha ha... that drawing is a portrait I did for Shawn Gardner, a Louisville-based martial arts instructor, and founder of 2 Not 1 Fatherhood & Families Inc. He's not a rapper, but he has a lot to say! If you wanna see some rappers I've drawn, click here.
- 2:47 - Brotherman. That dude is Dawud Anyabwile, and yes, I said he is the most influential black comic book artist ever. No disrespect to anyone else, but there's a generation or two of heads running around with his name on their "biggest influence" list.
- 3:00 - Why yes, that IS the drawing of Blade (Wesley Snipes) I drew on the title page of Black Comix.
- 3:30 - Okay... "Early adopter" might be overstating it, but I was down a loooong time ago. I was drawing chicks with afros in a non-blaxploitation, non-ironic/humorous way before it was as fashionable as it is now. These days, everyone knows about my afro fixation.
- 3:45 - "Hostile but alluring black women"... I could post a million examples. Click Here, here or here. That's enough, I think. I probably like drawing that kind of stuff more than anything else. I remember when I drew Warrior Queen Mother, my wife was... not impressed. I could not have been more excited about it. But more people probably agree with her than with me. Oh well...
- 4:01 - Click here to see the comics project I was talking about.
- 4:15 - That's not Champion of Children. That's artwork I did for friends who do a computer science camp for kids. For a look at some Champion of Children stuff, just click here. We collected all our Champ stories into one book called Champion of Children Volume 1, which is available on Amazon.
- 4:19 The anthology I'm speaking about is the beloved GhostWerksComics #1. You can buy a copy here or here.
Click the jar to leave a tip!
Join the Samax Amen Fan Club for $10 a month! Get Stuff!