SUNDAY COMICS- Black Superheroes to the Rescue?


 

Are you doing okay, fam?

I have had kind of a rough week.

I have been SUPER BUSY, just trying to meet my income goals in this crazy economy, while also working hard to stay sane.

I am actually doing pretty well, to be honest.  But I do spend a lot more time than usual talking to people lately.

I got a lot of stuff bubbling behind the scenes and what not, but I still have a few gems I can show you.


In a time when we are hearing a lot about (and fighting to improve) the black experience with law enforcement, my clients and I are over here creating comics and strips starring black superheroes...
The Brother: Run Alonzo, Run
I haven't been talking about it that much, but I recently returned to work on the LOOONG awaited collaboration with Jay Kelley called The Brother: Run, Alonzo, Run

The Brother is an African time traveler who for some reason has taken an interest in notorious career criminal Alonzo Greer.

The resurrection of this story comes after a long hiatus, and both Jay and I are excited to see this story get told. 

Here are a couple pages I completed last week.  If you've been with me for a while, you've seen bits and pieces of these pages, but I'm excited to share the completed art with you here.

I'm creating Run Alonzo Run to be printed in black and white, but I'm also sharing versions of the pages colored by
 Rodney Jean-Etienne.
I can't say for sure when this short story will be finished, but I can say it will be this year. 

Stay tuned for more....
Superheru part 3
I finally finished a new episode of J.R. LeMar's SUPERHERU on Thursday afternoon.
If you've checked out more of J.R.'s comics, you might recognize these guys from The Friends Zone, a strip J.R. does with Celina Hernandez.

J.R. loves to do crossovers so that fans can envision that all his strips take place in the same world.  As someone who has known J.R. for a while now, I can say that it speaks to his interests in many genres, and his desire to do bigger stories.

Check out more of J.R.'s comics with me and other artists at My Comic Strip Club.
BiGS#4 is almost done!
You might already know I'm also drawing a comic called BiGS for Upchuck Comics. 

BiGS is not strictly a super hero comic, but rather a science fiction story about a world where environmental changes have caused a small percentage of the population to grow to giant sizes.
Unlike most of the "bigs" who have poor health requiring daily medication, Nate doesn't take the dailies, and has exhibited superhuman strength and speed.

This all makes Nate a natural enemy of the medical industrial complex and big pharma interests who would stand to lose multiplied billions if word gets out about him... which it has.  
After being a fan of the series (a friend of mine is the regular artist), I was invited to do fill in art on issue 3

Now I'm two pages away from completing art on #4.  So stay tuned!
Buy issue 3 here
AMENsiders: the Samax Amen Fan Club*
IN OTHER NEWS
Last week I made my PRISON IS SLAVERY teeshirt design available in several colors on Teepublic.  They have tees, stickers, tote bags and more.

Click the picture to buy one. 
My proceeds will be donated to the Innocence Project so we can get the wrongly-convicted outta prison.
LIMITED EDITION STICKERS!
Want 4 limited edition stickers?  Cop this awesome Slaps Sticker Pack while supplies last for just $15 (includes domestic shipping)*.
With all that's going on, many artists are expressing ambivalence about selling products and services, but I am definitely not among them.

The only way to protect yourself and to be of help to your loved ones and community is to make sure that you are financially healthy first.

If you need help turning your skills and talents into an independent source of income, I am happy to chat with you about it and help you any way I can.
Wanna Chat?
You can schedule a free (no pressure) phone or video call here to talk about anything you want.

That's all for now, fam.   Thanks again for reading! 

Peace,
-Samax ("some AX") Amen
*A portion of any goods or services you purchase from me will be donated to the Innocence Project, a nonprofit that works to exonerate innocent people through DNA testing and to reform the criminal justice system to prevent injustice.
This issue of SUNDAY COMICS with SAMAX AMEN is brought to you by:
spread the word!

No comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner