Sunday Comics: Everybody loves Batman


Here's some cool stuff I made this week!



CONTENTS:
  1. SNYDER BEGINS- A review of BATMAN: THE BLACK MIRROR
  2. FEATURED IMAGE
  3. COMICBOOK PROJECT (Work in Progress) BiGS #4, pg 18
  4. NEW IN THE TEEPUBLIC STORE
  5. DAILY SKETCHES highlights
  6. NEW BOOK of POETRY and ART





SNYDER BEGINS- A few words about Batman: The Black Mirror
If you or someone you know reads comics, you've probably at least heard of Scott Snyder, who made his name writing Batman.  I have never read any of Scott Snyder's work, even though he comes highly recommended.

Last week I decided to read his Batman run. So I started with this Detective Comics story arc BATMAN: THE BLACK MIRROR on hoopla digital.
The sales pitch:

A NEW YORK TIMES #1 Bestseller

For years, Batman and Commissioner Gordon have stared into the unyielding black abyss that is Gotham City. Time after time, they've saved their beloved city from itself, not allowing it to be swallowed by a pit of violence and corruption. But even after a crime-fighting lifetime of confronting what they thought was the worst humanity had to offer, an even darker and more dangerous evil pushes Batman and Gordon to their limits.

As the conflict comes closer to its resolution, they find that the truth behind this murderous crime spree isn't just careening toward their doorstep—it has in fact emerged from it. Can two of Gotham's proudest protectors bring justice to this malevolent threat in Commissioner Gordon's most personal battle to date?
Eisner Award-winning writer Scott Snyder launches into comics superstardom with his #1 New York Times best-selling debut work on the Dark Knight. This volume collects Detective Comics #871-881.
BATMAN: The Black Mirror
by Scott Snyder, Jock, & Francesco Francavilla

BLACK MIRROR features the work of two artists: Jock and Francisco Francavilla.
His work is moody and grounded, but still brings an otherworldly vibe when needed.  After only a few pages, before the real action kicked in, I found myself applauding his approach to small moments, clean storytelling, and pleasing layout choices.

One thing to keep in mind is that when this story takes place Dick Grayson is Batman, not Bruce Wayne.  I haven't read the storylines before this story, but I know that Bruce died, leaving Nitghtwing to take up his mantle.  Damian Wayne is Robin, and Tim Drake is Red Robin.

As far as I can tell reading the first chapter, Commissioner Gordon knows there is a new Batman, but I'm not sure he knows Dick Grayson is Batman.  Wayne's company is known by Gordon to provide technology to Batman, and Dick offers resources to him as well.

In Black Mirror Jock trades art chores back and forth with Francisco Francavilla.  Where Jock employs a modern edgy realism reminiscent of Tim Bradstreet or Alex Maleev, Francavilla has more of a Toth vibe.  I am not a fan of switching artists on books, but it was coordinated in an artful enough way, I guess.

Both artists really lean into Scott Snyder's suspenseful horror vibe.  At least that's what I see a lot in this series.

BLACK MIRROR is a nice crime story.  Nothing Earth-shattering or anything, but a good reintroduction to Batman (or introduction to Dick Grayson as Bats, I suppose).  Good enough for me to try out more Snyder.

Next stop, Batman: Gates of Gotham

CLICK HERE to cop Batman: Black Mirror on Amazon.

Ordering through this link will earn me a small commission.  If enough people use it, it'll help me pay some bills around here.

Have you read this comic?
If so, let me know what you thought of it.

FEATURED IMAGE 

The cover of this week's issue is a drawing I cooked up after reading Black Mirror.

I call it Batsignal.  You can buy a 8x11 print for just $17 (includes domestic shipping).  A portion of your purchase will be donated to the Innocence Project*.
Batsignal 8x11 Print (Signed) $17

Or, click the button below to join my Fan Club AMENsiders at the $25/month level, and I'll send you a BIGGER (11x14) copy of this signed print with some more exclusive goodies, and another similarly dope package every month.
Join AMENsiders $25/Month

Another benefit of joining AMENsiders is that you get first look and in-progress updates of all the art projects I'm working on, via the AMENsiders VIP Facebook group.

For example, I finished page 18 of Upchuck Comics' BiGS #4 this week.  
COMICS (in Progress)

This story about giant mutants, environmental disasters, corporate healthcare conspiracies, and more has erupted into domestic terrorism in downtown Dallas!

Upgrade to AMENsiders VIP membership for access to see this full page now, and to be the first to see new pages as I finish them. 


NEW in the TEEPUBLIC Store

Did I mention I have Batsignal printed items available on TEEPUBLIC? Head over to my store to check out tees, stickers and more with this image while they last!

Here's a couple Note Card sketches I made since the last Sunday Comics.  I drew these with Sharpies and Crayola markers. 

If you want to buy one of these, click the button below to claim it for $14.99 (includes shipping) before someone else does!
Buy the Spidey Notecard Sketch
Buy the HULK Notecard Sketch

I do sketches like these for fun.  They help me unwind at the end of a long day, or sometimes I draw them to warm up at the beginning of a drawing session.

I sell them because I am over having piles of my own drawings laying around, and I am cultivating the habit of having money coming in all the time.

So You Wanna Be a Supervillain?

Here's a drawing I made after watching someone remove a parasite from a wasp and lay it on their naked finger.  I imagined it stabbing through their skin and transforming them into a monster like Venom. 
Signed SYWBaSV Postcard $5

I started doing drawings like this for my blogs and social media, which has led to doing them for clients.  People often praise me for the design of my blogs, but it really just benefits from having cool artwork.

If you need artwork for your blog, website or social media, let me know!

My friend Serena Wills released her third book of poetry last month- The Awakening, Pieces of Life Volume 2- which includes visual art by multiple artists (including me).

Check out this YouTube trailer, where you will see two of my pieces from the book if you keep your eyes peeled.
From the author of Reconstruction, Pieces of Life Volume 1 and Crying Tears of Teal comes a poetry book filled with the ebbs and flow of life while one is healing from a relationship and all that has happened to them in their journey of life.

The pathway to reconstruction has its challenges and opposition and it can also have great joy, opportunities are birthed and healing is happening which is The Awakening!

Explore this poetry book through this trailer and please check out the website and social media outlets and bless yourself with a copy.

Peace, love and light to everyone and thanks for your positive energy and for watching.

I have three copies on hand signed by the author and myself.  You can click the button below to order, while supplies last.

I will also include a quick Note Card Sketch inspired by one of the poems in the book with your order.
Get the Book + a Sketch $28.95

Every purchase helps fight injustice!

*This year, I am donating 10% of my revenue each month to the Innocence Project, a nonprofit that works to exonerate innocent people through DNA testing and reform the criminal justice system to prevent injustice.

My goal for March is to raise at least $500 for the Innocence Project before my birthday, March 22nd!

I know it might sound corny, but my hope is that together, we can help give wrongly-convicted people their lives back.

As always, fam, I wanna thank you again for reading! 

Have a great weekend!
-Samax ("some AX") Amen

DON'T MISS AN ISSUE!
SUBSCRIBE TO SUNDAY COMICS!

UPGRADE YOUR MEMBERSHIP
                                    

No comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner